Are my company in beach of my contract

I have working my role for 18 months and
shave now handed in my notice and am still
working in my notice period.
I re read over my contract and under overtime
it says any time after 40 hours should be paid.
I brought this up and since then they have
come back to me saying the contract was
written in error and they have printed the wrong
contract, this was not picked up before it was
signed by the company and there for wont be
paying the overtime. Are they in breach of the

Asked on June 24, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You should have a right to the overtime not paid you. The terms of the contract will prevail. The fact is that you employer drafted and the signed it; the mistake should not affect your rights since you signed in good faith.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Failure to pay overtime pursuant to the terms of the contract constitutes breach of contract.
Since you had no reason to know of the mistake and the other party knew of the mistake, the contract is enforced on your terms because you are the innocent party. The contract is enforced against the mistaken party (your employer).
Therefore, you can sue your employer for breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.