Are judgements in a divorce decree (money awarded to spouse, not alimony) dischargable in a bankruptcy?

Asked on November 15, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the money is for the spouse's "domestic support"--i.e. it's what he or she is getting to live on or supplement their other income--then it can't be discharged, just like child support cannot be discharged. However, if it is some other payment, like taking over the spouse's car loans, paying off his/her credit card, etc., then that non-support obligation could potentially be discharged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.