Is an insurance company obligated to pay for the diminished value of a car after it has been in an accident?

Asked on February 12, 2013 under Accident Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to stand your ground here but before you do, read your insurance agreement and the contractual provisions regarding when an accident is your fault or not your fault and the method the insurance company will use.  Either you will get the lesser of replacement cost or repair cost or if it is a total loss, it will be the value of the car up to the point of accident (think Blue Book values and the like).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.