If approximately 22 years ago I received a DUI but afterwards moved away and did not pay any fines that were associated with it, what can I do?

To be honest, I did not even know that fines were levied (young and dumb). The DUI was under my married (at the time) name. I now live in another state and have received a letter, followed up with a phone call, from the County Collection Division demanding almost $4000. During the phone call they requested that I verify my name, DOB and SSN. I did not comply. The letter states that they are prepared to sue, etc. Is there any way out if this?

Asked on July 13, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In this day and age, you need to be careful with anyone asking for your identifying information over the phone.  They should already know who you are when they call you. 

However, if you know you owe a fine, then you need to make arrangements to pay the fine.  Instead of paying the fine through a questionable  agency... considering hiring an attorney to help you facilitate the payment.  It will be more cost effective than paying an inflated fine to a questionable collection agency.  If you cannot afford an attorney... try reaching out to the prosecutor's office that handled your case.  They can direct you do the correct agency that you need to submit the payment too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.