applying for citizenship

I am a US immigrant right now for 6 years through marriage. Its July and am
planning an out of the country trip for the month of December. If I apply for a
US citizenship and it will take that long for the application to process, can I
still leave the country for vacation?

Asked on July 13, 2017 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can go outside the US even if the application for citizenship is pending as long as you are here for the fingerprinting appointment or timely reschedule it and for the interview.  THe process typically takes about 4-6 months from filing to interview so you can time the filing and the trip you intend to take accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.