What to do about drug using residents, if several noise complaints were filed by several of us neighbors but nothing has been done?

I have called the corporate about the tenants living above me making noise disturbances every night and day. I have personally gone down to the office to complain about their drug trafficking and filed police reports. Also there was found drug paraphanalia on my property and reported that to police, main office, and corperate. I strongly belive the management are customers of their drug trafficking as well. And I have sent annoymous tips to the police, nothing has changed. What can I do? I have young children I don’t want around drugs.

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There really is nothing you can do civilly.  You have a right to the quiet enjoyment of your rental unit, free from the landlord's interference with that right, but the landlord will not be responsible for the invasion of your quiet enjoyment by other tenants, unless the behaviour of the other tenants is for the landlord's benefit.  Here, even if the landlord is a customer, that is probably not enough.  It does not sound like you have a legal basis for breaking your lease either.  Merely being "around drugs" causes no harm to anyone.  You might want to talk to your landlord about letting you out of your lease early.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.