Apartment Lease – South CarolinaI signed a lease and paid a deposit for an apartment. I then decided that I wanted to buy instead of rent. When I

called to see if I could get my rent back. They said I couldn’t because I only had 72 hours. However, I inadvertently signed the name that I am using not my legal name, which I am in the process of changing. Am I able to get my deposit back if I signed the wrong name?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a cancellation policy and you signed a lease, you are locked in. If do not want to rent and you have not taken possession of the premises, you should look at the lease that deals with early termination.  The problem is that the landlord will incur damages as it is not able to re-rent the premises for at least a month and relied on your agreement to move in.  While you signed the lease under a wrong name, you may still be liable as it was you that is ultimately responsible for your actions (did you give the landlord a social sec #?).  I suggest asking the landlord to compromise and give you a portion of the security deposit back.  Be carefull as the landlord is going to want to sue for the monies owed throughout the rental term.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.