Apartment Eviction

So I had my brother come over the other night. He suffers from PTSD and has a stress dog. Mind you, I had no idea he was bringing it with him and the apartment complex does have strict rules about having pets or evening feeding stray animals. However, I thought it was just visiting for the maximum of 3 hours so no big deal. Well I get a knock on my door from the landlord’s assistant manager informing me that she had seen the dog and that I have until next week to vacate the apartment. I was able to fix the issue monetarily but is it legal for them to do this?

Asked on September 16, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The landlord can evict you for the pet violation, however, they have to provide you with sufficient notice and one week is not sufficient notice.  You need to take the apartment fine money, get a receipt, and confirm in writing that that lease is still in effect.  If the lease is no longer in effect, then they need to alot you at least thirty days to find a new apartment.  Failure to provide sufficient notice can result in you being able to suit them for wrongful eviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.