Any way to get out of a no insurance ticket?

My husband and I decided to sell 1 of our vehicles. The vehicle has been in storage for the last year, so it has no insurance or registration. My husband drove the vehicle to park it with a for sale sign on it. He got pulled over and received a warning for no registration but got a ticket for no insurance. We both have excellent driving records and have always had insurance and registration on the vehicles that we normally drive. If we go to the court date would a judge even consider dropping it to a warning since the other infraction only received a warning?

Asked on March 28, 2011 under General Practice, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Prosecutors have discretion to charge someone with a lesser offense; or if you go before a judge, the judge may have some discretion in what he finds you guilty of. The best way to get them to use this discretion in your favor is to hire a lawyer--someone with traffic ticket, etc. experience, and there are many attorneys who specialize in this, in your local courts. The attorney will often have a good working relationship with the other actors, will know how to best frame or present arguments, who best to talk to, etc. So if you are series about trying to get this ticket reduced, hire an attorney who does this for a living to help you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.