What to do if I caused an accident but wasn’t insured?

I received a citation for no driver’s license, no insurance and failure to control speed accident. The car was insured but my father had not put me in it. I am in the process of getting a Class C driver’s license. No one was physically hurt as far as I could tell and resulted in some minor damage to the cars mostly just the back bumpers. Should I get a lawyer and what are the chances of my fines being reduced or dismissed?

Asked on March 18, 2016 under General Practice, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Some of the ideas you have for resolution are potentially available.  Whether or not they will be available will depend on the prosecutor that is assigned to handle your case.  You will have a better chance of getting the deal you want if you do get your license and obtain insurance sooner than later.  You don't have to have an attorney for this process.... but you should at least visit with an attorney that handles tickets in the court where your tickets are being handled.  They will be able to tell you if you there are any special programs in that court that would qualify you for a dismissal, a deferred sentence, or a reduced charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.