What will happen if I answered one question incorrectly regarding visa transfers in my citizenship interview?

I recently have citizenship interview employement based and I passed the civics test as well. I don’t have any criminal record and no immigration issues at all. Unfortunately, IO asked me about my H1B transfers but the transfers were done about 10 years ago. I didn’t remember that I transferred from visa A to B and from B to C. I told IO that I transferred from A to C instead and confused about B. She marked the application to make the decision later. When I came back and checked the statuses from documentation, I was very much worried about that. I sent her written letter with correct dates, etc.

Asked on June 4, 2012 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


Osas Iyamu-Attorney at Law / Law Offices of Osas Iyamu, LLC-Immigration Law Office

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is against the law to lie or misrepresent facts on any immigration application or to an immigration officer. It pays to be proactive in retracting the error. Since you already sent in a letter of clarification, you may want to follow up by scheduling an infopass appointment just to make sure the letter of clarification made it to your file and also an opportunity to clarify the error in person. Otherwise your application may be denied for lack of good moral character on grounds of misrepresentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.