Annulment or divorce

We have been married for 3 months and it’s not working out. I’m 3 months pregnant with my husband’s child and have a child from a previous marriage. What is the route I need to go?

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Family Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the marriage is abusive you need to go somewhere that you are safe.  The fact that you are pregnant throws a whole bunch of issues in to the mix (child support, visitation, etc.) and it is difficult in this type of forum to give specific advice.  But the fact that you wrote in here asking for guidance shows that you are strong and that you know that you can not stay there for your sake and the sake of the baby.  Please call your local bar association and ask if they have a referral service for a divorce attorney.  Or if you can get a referral from some one you know and trust, do that.  Make sure that you address his absue with the attorney becuase you have to worry about the baby. But please make yourself safe first.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.