Can a decree of annulment be set aside due to fraud?

A default decree of annulment was filed against a defendant who was not personally served, either by mail or any other way. The defendant first found out about this fraudulently made annulment 2 years after decree was granted. The plaintiff hid the fact from defendant and continued to live in their marital house in CA. Affidavit of service was signed by plaintiff’s friend who failed to deliver any documents to defendant. Can the decree of annulment be set aside after 2 years?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Family Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Any document can be set aside for fraud and what you are worried about here is the statute if limitations, which is why I believe that you mentioned that it happened 2 years ago.  There are generally provisions in the law that allow an extension of the statute of limitations for certain matters because one of the parties di not or could not - with reasonable attempts - know about the matter and the time to being an action against the other party does not begin to run until the act that gives rise to the lawsuit is found out.  So I would speak with an attorney on this matter as soon as you possibly can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.