What to do if an unfit grandparent is threatening to sue for visitation rights?

If this goes to court I fear that I could become financially unstable. What can I do as a parent to avoid not only the court fees but the grandparent creating an unsafe environment for my family?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is different from grandparent rights.  It has to do with a claim that being with the grandparent would be in the best interest of the child or children rather than their parent or parents.  If the grandparent is going to sue there is nothing you can do to avoid it unless you smooth the waters between you emotionally.  You are going to have to be diplomatic and appeal to her by touching on the soft spot she has at least for the children.  Courts favor that children remain with their parents unless the circumstances really warrant otherwise.  If she does bring ana ction try legal aid or a law school clinic or  a bar association pro bono (free) program.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.