Can a US citizen who is not blood related 2 children, help them return to the US if their parent is living here but is undocumented but they are citizens?

An undocumented friend of mine has 2 US born children in 7th and 9th grades. They went to Mexico for the holidays to stay with relatives but they couldn’t comeback to the US because they need an adult with them since they are under 18 years old.

Asked on December 4, 2013 under Immigration Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country IF the United States citizen is given a legal power of attorney to bring minors who are also American citizens from Mexico signed by the parent or parents of the minors such is allowed. The key is to have the paperwork in order including the passports of the minor children.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.