What to do if an officer wants me to come in to his office for questioning about something I didn’t do since my vehicle was involved in the incident?

Asked on October 22, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't give amuch by way of details here. However, anytime potential criminal charges are involved, it is a good idea to have legal representation. And any time that the police want to question you, you should not do so without having an attorny present. The fact is that no matter how innocent you may be, you could inadvertently say something potentially incriminating about yourself or another. Remember, the police are trained interogators so speaking with them without legal counsel is not a good idea.
At this point, you should consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area. The can hear the details of your situation and best advise you as to your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.