What to do if an insurer is refusing to pay for part of the damages to my vehicle because they say it is something that “wears out easily” and the vehicle is older?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Accident Law, Iowa


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you are having a dispute with your insurer regarding a claim that you have concerning your vehicle, make sure the claims representative puts the basis for the denial of your request for compensation for damages in writing.

Respond to the position in writing stating your position. If you do not resolve the dispute with the insurer, I would contact your state's department of insurance and lodge a complaint against the insurer about the dispute you have and then wait to see what happens. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.