If an immigrant marries a US citizen but then immediately thinks it’s a mistake, can it be undone without raising fraud?

The immigrant marries, intending to obtain permanent residence as primary objective. the application process has not yet begun and if attempted will likely fail as it was a “quickie” marriage. Can there be a divorce done quickly without impacting any future marriage and application process is said marriage is primarily to be Wed out of “love”?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the parties agree the marrige is "irretrievably broken" it can be dissolved via an uncontested dissolution within  a few months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.