If an ex is claiming that I have her keys and wants to file a restraining order, what is my best course of action?

I want no further contact with that ex and I do not have the keys. I would like to avoid the RO.

Asked on June 18, 2014 under Criminal Law, California


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Having your keys would not be the basis for having a restraining order issued against you.  You can always choose to hire an attorney to draft a letter on your behalf and oppose any restraining order. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.