What are my options if an ex-girlfriend has about $1500 worth of my property and is refusing to talk to me so I have no way of getting it back?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Business Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have a way of getting it back you can sue her for the value of the property, and the case could potentially be settled by her returning the property or she may have to pay you its value. To win, you'd have to prove that it is your property she has no right to it e.g. it was not a gift, since if it was a gift, you can't get it back--a gift, once given, cannot be ungiven and the value of it. For $1,500, suing in small claims court, acting as your won attorney, is likely a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.