What to do if an employee was fired from my business and stole the customer, vendor and parts list of the company?

He failed to return the uniforms and is now working with a different employer and has been using and contacting our customer to make sales and repairs for a cheaper price. This has greatly affected our company. Is there anything we can do to stop him from continuing?

Asked on March 7, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, California


kristine karila / Law Office of Kristine S. Karila

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes.   You can sue for the cost of the uniforms and for taking company property/trade secrets (vendor list, etc.) and possibly for intentional interference with contractual or business relationships, etc.   If you don't have a nondisclosure agreement with your employees, you should have an attorney write one for you.   A demand letter from an attorney may cause the former employee to return the uniforms and cease and desist using your lists/trade secrets, etc.   949-481-6909. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.