What to do if an auto repair company tore my car apart and left it outside their compound?

My transmission went out on my car. I called an autobody shop and they towed it and gave me an estimate. They took my trasmission completely apart to rebuild it and turned out they could not order some of the parts Now they piled all the old parts in the back seat and parked it outside of their compound and told me to get someone to come get it. I want to sue them Is there anything I can do?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Business Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you have a basis for making a complaint with your state's bureau of automotive repairs against the presumed licensed transmission company that you took your car to. Such entity investigates consumer complaint and regulates licensed mechanics on a state by state basis.

You should also consult with an attorney as to what your legal recourse may be after you have spoken with the owner of the transmission shop as to why your car is in a worse state that what it was when you brought it to the repair shop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.