If an auto parts store employee put the cables on backward when replacing my battery and the wiring and electrical is now destroyed, can I sue for another car?

Had to bring the car back to the shop 4 times now and it still overheats. I think the car might be done. I have car facts from it, never anything wrong with the car until the employee fried the electrical. Very stressful and frustrated all I wanted to do was change the battery.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Business Law, Idaho


Mark Petersen / Snake River Law PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You may have a claim for negligence on part of the employee. You will have to prove damages which will require you to prove that the employee's negligence and/or error caused the damage to your vehicle. To prove this you will need an independent opinion from another mechanic. Once you prove the damage to your vehicle, you will still need to prove monetary damage. Typically this will be limited to the damage caused by the mechanic. If his negligence resulted in damage to other areas of the engine then this would be included in the damages. As proving damages can be tricky, I recommend that you hire a lawyer to assist you with this process. If the value of the vehicle is minimal (less than $5,000) you may also pursue this action in small claims court, however, an attorney cannot represent you in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.