If an attorney set up a Living Trust for my wife and I and now I want to male changes to it, an I make the changes myself and have them notarized?

I am 77 and my wife is 69. I wanted to change some amounts I was wanted to giving to various charities, family and friends. However, he wanted over a $1,000 just for some minor changes to one page.

Asked on September 9, 2014 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You do not necessarily need a lawyer.  Generally you can either attach an amendment or do a "restatement" restating the trust in its entirety. Make sure that what ever you do - add/ delete - is really clear. Do you remember what the procedure was when you executed the original trust agreement?  Were there witnesses and was it notarized?  Do the same for the amendment. I would also check with any organization that help the elderly and see if you can have some one review it for you for free.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.