Amendment to my divorce

My Ex-husband and I agree on an amendment to property and retirement from our original divorce. I would like 100% sale of our marital home in exchange to not filing the QDRO for his retirement. We are both in agreement with this arrangement. do we need to go through the court system or is it something we can handle on our own with notorized documentation?

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Family Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The amendment to your divorce decree needs to be filed with the court.  You and your ex-husband can write the amendment yourselves, sign it and file it with the court without paying your attorney to do it.
The divorce decree of __________ (your names) dated_______, Case Number _________ is amended as follows:
Both of you sign and date at the bottom.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.