Is it possible to amend a real estate inventory assest sheet that is in probate?

After listing a house we found out that the house was deeded to my spouse after she listed it on the sheet. Now the creditor will not let the case close saying she lied and is trying to hide assets of her deceased mother. She did this without knowing the house was hers, otherwise why would she cause herself problems.

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I am sure that it is possible to amend the unventory of assets.  But I would rather see your wife speak with an attorney in the area about brining a motion in probate court to have the Probate Judge declare that the asset is not part of the estate so that the creditor is dealt with once and for all.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.