How do I go about amending a divorce decree to transfer responsibility for carrying insurance on children?

Per our divorce decree, signed over 2 years ago, my ex-husband was to carry insurance for both of our children. He has now lost his job and cannot afford the COBRA payments. I have coverage under my current husband’s policy and am being told that we cannot add my children until the divorce decree has been amended to show that I am now responsible for carrying the insurance. How easy is this to do pro se?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Family Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can write an amendment, have it signed and dated by you and your ex-husband and file it with the court.  The general format for the amendment would be as follows:


The undersigned agree to amend the divorce decree in the above-captioned case as follows:

___________ (your name) is as of the date of this amendment responsible for the health insurance (or applicable type of insurance) for her children whose names are:____________.

Pursuant to this amendment, ____________ (name of ex-husband) has transferred the obligation to provide health insurance (or other type of insurance if applicable) to ________ (your name).

_________________                                          DATE:_______________



printed name

______________                                                       DATE:____________________



printed name


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.