Am I responsible if my daughter’s boyfriend drove my truck without permission and was in a accident?

My daughter ask to borrow my truck to haul scrap I was OK with that. However a few day’s later while she was sleeping her boyfriend drove my truck and hit a truck pulling a trailer. I was at work and had no ideal he had my truck until he called me and asked if I had insurance that he had a wreck. My insurance has paid for property damage, now the other party has hired a lawyer for injury and has a suit against me, so my insurance said that my policy was 50/100 and he is asking for more. Insurance can only cover what my policy is. I have no ideal what to do now.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Accident Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter's boyfriend drove your vehicle and was in an automobile accident and was the cause of the accident, there is a very good chance that you could be held partially responsible for the damages suffered by the other party.

The rationale is that your carelessly allowed him to drive the vehicle. Hopefully he has a policy of insurance. You need to make sure that your insurance carrier defends you concerning any action that may be filed by the other side.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.