Am I responsible for paying for lost wages or medical bills to someone who is suing me for a car accident?

I was not the driver of the vehicle I was actually the passenger. But on the police report I lied and said I was the driver because my boyfriend at the time asked me to. Now I am being sued by the guy who crashed into us for lost wages, medical bills etc. The accident happened 2 years ago. What can I do? The accident happened out of state. The guy I was involved with will not come forward and as it turns out, the vehicle that he told me belonged to his cousin who loaned it to him actually belonged to his ex-girlfriend. There were no witnesses to the accident. Can I have the police report amended? Please

Asked on March 20, 2018 under Accident Law, Minnesota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Why is the other driver suing if he "crashed into you" and therefore caused the accident?
If your driver was at fault, his ex-girlfriend is liable because she is the registered owner of the vehicle.  She and your driver should be the parties sued by the other driver.
You can try to have the police report amended, but you may be subject to criminal charges for initially lying to the police.  The VIN (vehicle identification number) can establish that the registered owner of the vehicle is the ex-girlfriend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.