Am I responsible for my ex husband’s back taxes on our former home?

We divorced 6 years ago and my ex-husband was to keep our former home, refinance the mortgage and pay me a share of its worth. He did not do this, and so my name is on the deed? He has not paid the taxes on the house and now plans to move and leave me to take care of the back taxes/foreclosure.

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please seek legal help as soon as possible.  The bank and the county were not a part of your divorce so they will still come after you for the money owed.  Your remedy is to go after him.  But maybe you can see if in the end it can work in your favor or at least work out a deal with the bank on the foreclosure so that there is no deficiency that they can come after you for.  The taxes, though, are an issue and that issue needs to be negotiated as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.