Am I responsible for a mortgage taken on my property if someone obtained morgage thru forged quit claim deed?

I found out house was going into
foreclosure, when spouse passed,
later found out a quit claim deed
had been signed prior to our
marriage. I did not sign over deed
to my house am I responsible for the

Asked on April 2, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

If you are not on the mortgage--you did not sign it or agree to pay it--you are not personally liable for it: even if the mortgage is valid, you do not not have to spend any personal money on it and cannot be forced to (or sued to) repay it.
If the mortgage is valid, even if you are not on it, the home could be foreclosed on if it is not paid. 
If you can prove that the signature on the quitclaim deed was forged (and the deed was necessary to take out the mortgage), you may be able to void the mortgage or show that it is not valid...but doing so may not help you unless you can repay the remaining principal on it. When an agreement or loan is voided, it is as if it never happened; the parties to it (e.g. the homeowner and the lender) are put back into the situations they occupied prior to the voided agreement or loan. That means that the security interest (mortgage) on your home is eliminated, BUT it also means the bank/lender gets it money back. You cannot keep the loan's proceeds while keeping the house, since that would not be the pre-mortgage situation and would result in you being "unjustly enriched" by getting house and money both.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.