Am I responsible for a drug charge that I incurred at an apartment I wasn’t even living at?

An apartment that I no longer live at was raided by police and drugs were found. The problem is I got charged with possession even though I do not live at the residence any longer. About 2 months prior to the raid I moved out all of my possessions and moved into a new apartment which I signed a lease for as well ( i have a copy of it too). Since moving out I have had no affiliation with the apartment other than I am still paying on the lease I was unable to be dismissed from. I also am on probation so this is crucial.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were not a resident of the unit that was raided resulting in a drug charge against you, you have a good defense to the charge particularly if you were not arrested at the unit. Given the serious charge against you, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you in the matter that you have written about.

From what you have written about, you should not be responsible from a legal standpoint concerning drug charges with respect to your former rental if you had nothing to do with the placement of controlled substances at that locality.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.