Am I required to register my company as a foreign entity in California?

I have an LLC in Florida, I now live in California. I have been paying California
state taxes on the money that I made through the company, but I have not
registered the company as a foreign entity here in California. Do I need to? Will I
be penalized if I don’t?

Asked on March 5, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If you conduct or transact business in CA--that is, sell anything in CA, provide services in CA, etc.--then you have to register as a foreign entity. Living in CA, paying taxes on your income (as a state resident) in CA, etc. does not require you to register: only coducting business in a state does.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.