Am i required to provide proof of new insurance for a secondary driver who is no longer on my policy

In 2017 my boyfriend got in an at fault accident which has since been finalized.
At the time, he was a secondary driver on my insurance but has since put the car
in his own name and insured it with a different company.
Now my insurance is asking me to provide proof he has different insurance for his
vehicle or they are threatening to raise the rate on my other vehicle i still
have insured with them Do i have to provide proof? Is this even legal?
I wasn’t even involved in the accident, why do i have to pay for a vehicle that i
don’t even own anymore?

Asked on December 12, 2018 under Insurance Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal: when you claim that someone is no longer insured under your policy, they can demand proof of it--they don't need to take your word for it. The best and most reliable proof is proof that he now has his own insurance, so this is a legal and reasonable request. If you don't comply, they can consider that he is still under your insurance and raise your rates appropriately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.