Am I required to maintain cell phone service form my ex?

I am currently going through a divorce and I had originally agreed to pay for the cell phone bill that included, my ex, her 2 daughters and myself. After a dispute with the cell phone company, I terminated the contract which included all the lines on the contract’s. She is requiring that I either pay her extra child support or pay for her to have a new cell phone service. Am I required to do to this? She claims that was her main line of communication, however when I first left the house there was a landline and I also know that currently she has another phone under her name.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If maintaining cell service was part of the judgment, then you have to maintain it.  It sounds like there is no judgment yet, in which case you probably wouldn't need to pay for her cell phone service.  If you are legally separated your obligations are any past debts from during the marriage, temporary spousal support, and temporary child support .  Any other obligation arising from services she is enjoying is now her responsibility.

If you are going through a divorce I would recommend hiring a local family law attorney to make sure you get the best result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.