am I qualified for a claim?

I’m an 18 year old female who
works for a big time tree company.
Recently several times on company
hours ive dealt with a hostile
work environment.out of two
females in our region, I work with
all men and theyve been making
sexual comments around me. None of
them were towards m. The comments
that were made were related to
their personal sex life, sexual
parts, and other nasty sharing of
stories that they’ve done and
videos they’ve seen.its happened
three times in the past week and
twice today. I’ve been very
uncomfortable by all of it and I
even let a foreman know, whether
he listened or not. Statements
were written, and disiplen is
being taken until further
investigation. Is there anything I
can or actions to be taken because
I was in a hostile work
environment dealing with sexual

Asked on April 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Based on what you write, you seem to have a viable illegal sex-based discrmination or harassment claim, such discrimination or harassment can be based on not just comments or actions directed specifically at you, but at creating a sexually-charged, hostile work environment for a woman. IF the employer is dealing effectively with the situation, as long as they are dealing effectively, you do not have other recourse: the employer's obligation is to investigate and respond reasonably to the harassment, so as long as they are doing that, that is the action to which you are entitled (and they are fulfilling their legal obligations). But if they fail to respond in an appropriate or effective manner, that is when you can go to the federal EEOC or the state equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.