What vehicle purchases are protected by theLemon Law?

I bought a used vehicle in VA 9/4/10. It was an “as is” buy. Only had the car for 3 days before being told by a certified garage that I need to replace the motor. Am I protected by the Lemon Law? The vehicle is absolutely undriveable.

Asked on September 10, 2010 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately it is not.  The Pennsylvania Lemon Law, as in most states, applies to any new vehicle purchased or leased and registered in Pennsylvania or purchased or leased outside Pennsylvania but registered for the first time there and for personal, family or household use. Did you have the car inspected first?  There may be other laws. though, that will help you here.  Fraud and misrepresentation are two that come to mind.  Was this a private sale or a sale through a dealership?  That can matter.  The "as is" component will be an issue.  Did you have a written contract?  I would start off by contacting your state Attorney General's office Consumer Fraud Division and see what they can do for you.  You may need to speak with an attorney in your area on this as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.