Am I obligated to sign a non-solicitation agreement which says that when I leave employment, I cannot work with any other affiliated business for at least 18 months?

Is there anyway I can make amendments on this legal document?

Asked on December 2, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you don't sign the non-solicitation agreement, you can be terminated by your employer, so you need to weight your job vs. the restriction and decide what is best for you. It is legal for an employer do this--to require employees to sign non-solicitation or non-competition agreements.
You cannot unilaterally (on your own) amend or modify the document: your employer would have to agree to the change. No one my change a legal document without the consent (agreement) of the other party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.