Am I liable for payment while my ex-boyfriend is in jail?

My ex boyfriend and I went to a bail bonds in florida to keep him out of jail. I paid most he money up front but they still needed $500. She the bond lady paid it for him and he said that he would make payments back to her within the month back in April. Well, he has bee in jail for about 2 months now. The bailbond lady decided to come after me for payment since he is in jail. I did sign the contract along with my ex boyfriend even though he said that he would pay it off since how I paid most the money. My question is can she come after me for the $500 now since he is in jail? Can I get arrest for not paying? She said if I don’t figure this out today and pay that she will turn it over to her attorney on Monday. What will happento me? Do I have to pay that $500? I do not have they money.

Asked on October 27, 2017 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you signed the agreement to pay it is a contract and so she can come after you and start a civil action against you to pay off the money.  It may be a good idea to strike a deal and negotiate this.  It is, unfortunately, an expensive lesson learned.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.