Am I liable for the debts that my husband incurred at his business if it is an LLC?

I have nothing to do with the business. He bought it before we were married and I have never had anything to do with it. I actually don’t even know what goes on at his business due to him tellimg me to stay out of it. Our marriage has been slowly dissolving due to it and I just need to know what part I play in it legally all due to being his wife. We share one personal bank account that I have nothing to do

with but my name is on it. We have 2 cars, a house and beach property that we share in name. What do I need to do to clear myself of debt away from him and am do I legally have nothing to do with what

he does at work?

Asked on September 20, 2017 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Naive, maybe, but trusting is also a word we use in a marriage.  But now, let's be smarter.  The liabilities of an LLC are limited to the assets of the corporation.  So long as you signed nothing you should be good.  But please go and speak with an attorney NOW to protect what ever else you own with him in case he signed anything to be personally liable.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.