Am I liable for a 1099 work injury?

I am a 1099 contractor in NC who was working for a larger company. I am listed as a driver for the larger company and hired a guy as

Asked on September 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Are you, as a contractor yourself, required to carry Workers' Compensation Insurance under the laws in the state of North Carolina?  Just becuase YOU are a 1099 employee of the GC does not mean that the law will not find you to be an e,ployer for this purpose.  I would seek legal consultation as soon as you can.  Bring your contracts with the GC with you as well. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You are liable for him if you were in any way resonsible for his injuries: for example, by not instructing him correctly on what to do; by not giving him any tools or equipment that would be necessary to safely move those panels; by not having the panels properly secured in the first place. You hired him; that made you his employer for the day, and so have to provide a safe work environment. 
On the other hand, if you did nothing wrong and this was due to his own carelessness--e.g. him choosing to try to move the heavy panels in an unsafe way--then you are not liable. Your liability would depend on you having done something wrong and being at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.