Is a landlord responsible for the cost of moving furniture when replacing the carpet?

My tenant have lived at my rental for 3 years and wants the carpet to be changed. I’m OK with replacing it but was wondering who would be responsible for cost of moving furniture? They wanted it to be done while they are on vacation, is this OK or should I wait till they come back? And finally,for future reference, do I have a obligation to replace the carpet upon a tenants request.

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are not obligated to replace a tenant's carpet upon request. However, if the carpet is very dirty, cannot be cleaned, torn and just plain unsanitory, you have an obligation to ensure the premises is inhabitable and you of course don't want strange critters living in the carpet (especially if your tenants have pets -- think fleas, ticks and mites). You are not obligated to move the furniture because you agreed to have the carpets replaced but keep in mind that the reasonable thing to do is to do that because new carpet will benefit the home you own (i.e., this is your building not theirs).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.