Am I in the right or the wrong if I decided to not allow our child to go with their father on his documented visitation due not having a valid driver’s license?

I have expressed to the father though emails and verbally about the safety of our children Prior to his scheduled visitation weekend. He had failed to show me proof of a valid driver’s license and failed reassurance me that his wife would take the responsibility in being the only one operating all vehicles our children would be traveling in. But they both failed to show any reassurance. all that was received was sarcastic remakes and yelling from both. At the that I time I removed us (my children and I) from the situation and did not allow our children to go with their father.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Family Law, New Mexico


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, for one to legally drive on a public street, he or she must have a valid driver's license in effect. If the father of your child cannot provide you with evidence that he has a valid driver's license, you were legally justified in not allowing your child travel in a car driven by the father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.