What to do if I fraudulently applied for a Payday loan?

I know what I did was wrong and I should not have done it. I recently did one of those on-line payday loan things. I put my fiances information in and the money was put into his account. He did not know about the loan. When he found out, I did not tell him that I was the one who did it. He filed a police report and now I want to fix everything. How can I fix this? Am I going to go to jail? I am not sure what to do now.

Asked on December 25, 2010 under Criminal Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with a criminal attorney ASAP.  Select one in the area to where this incident was reported.  They will have contacts within the local court system that will be of help to you in such a case.  Based on the facts presented, if restitution can be made, an experienced attorney may well be able to arrange for charges not to being filed, or if they are, having you receive an alternative sentence which would leave you with no jail time and a clean criminal record (assuming that this is your first offense). 

Quite frankly, I think that your biggest problem may lie with your boyfriend.  You have a lot of explaining to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.