If you’re an alibi witness, must you speak to the police?

So I went to a party and my boyfriend came to get me and took me to his mom’s house. We left there at 11:30. I was drunk the whole time. Well his ex-girlfriend has a personal protection order and she said we were following her at 11 o’clock on a road that we did not even drive on. I’m 16 years old and he is 18. Is there anyway that I can go to court without my mom finding out? And am I going to get charged with anything? I don’t even know the guy’s name that bought me the alcohol. Are they going to send me anything in the mail? Do I have to testify? His ex doesn’t know who I am, however, my boyfriend might have given them my name and address. Are the cops seriously going to come to the door?

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Slow down and take a deep breath. Although I can understand why you may not want to have your parents present when the police talk to you about the circumstances and what went on, it may be a good idea to face the music now and make sure that your rights are protected.  Parents do that best.  They will find out eventually, believe me.  The police will come to your home or school or where ever to speak with you.  They have an obligation to investigate and great power in tracking you down.  Avoiding talking to them is not a good idea.  It will only make things worse for you in the long run.  You have to tell the truth and what you remember. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.