Am I entitled to my earned but unused vacation pay if i quit my job?

I live in CT.

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

CT has no law (like most other states) that requires a company to pay workers for accrued vacation time upon their termination (whether they quit or are fired). Employers are not required to give workers vacation benefits but each company can establish their own policies for providing it, including whether employees will be paid for accrued vacation time at termination. That having been said, the law does require that any company with a policy to pay workers for accrued vacation time follow that policy (although a company which has never paid employees for their vacation time is not required to enact such a policy). In other words, if an employer has paid for vacation time in the past under comparable circumstances, then it must continue to pay for this time. Failure to so could constitute actionable discrimination. Accordingly, companies must provide benefits without regard to race, age (over 40), color, sex, religion, pregnancy, disability or country of origin. Note: if there exists an employment contract or union agreement that specifically addresses vaction benefits upon a worker's departure, that will control.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.