Am I entitled to from my brother’s estate?

My brother has recently died and had no Will. He is survived by 3 sisters and I. I have not been able to contact my sisters to find out the status of his estate. Do I need to contact a lawyer?

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you can't reach the Personal Representative (i.e. the person whois court-appointed to administer the estate of someone who has dies without a Will), then possibly getting an attorney involved might be a good option.

As for just what, if anything, that you are entitled to, it depends. First of all, when someone dies without a Will they are said ti have died "intestate". Accordingly the intestacy laws of the state of which the deceased was domiciled as of the date of their dearth will control. Typically, if there is a surviving spouse and or children they will inherit; if there are none then siblings take an equal share of their deceased sibling's estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.