Am I entitled to back pay if my employer accidentally paid a lower wage than standard?

Today I learned that myself and others with the same job title who earn the same
pay were coded in the system at a lower wage than what it should have been. My
company will fix this mistake so that I will receive the proper wage going
forward. Legally, am I entitled to back pay for the hours worked at the lower

Asked on April 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You would only be entitled to the extra back pay IF you had a written employment contract setting your wage--if you did, then the employer was obligated to pay you at that amount. But without a contract, your wage is whatever the employer said it was--the employer has complete discretion or freedom to set pay when there is no contract, as part of "employment at will" (which is the law of the land). Therefore, if they paid you less than they should have, that pay amount was still legally correct--it was what your employer was paying you. They could voluntarily pay you the difference, but are not required to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.