am i entitled to alimony?

been married for over 20 years , im the
wife , ive never worked, I was a stay at
home mom of 5 kids , now all adults. Now
separated from my husband , can I
collect alimony ?

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

In the state of California it is known as "spousal support" and yes, by all means, you can get it now.  It is referred to as "Pendente Lite" support, or in other words, support given during the pending proceeding.  In order to get the support you need to make an application to the Court. Get a lawyer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.