Am I eligible for U.S. citizenship if I was born out of wedlock in Mexico 27 years ago and my mother is Mexican but my biological father is a U.S. citizen?

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

It realy depends on whether your father ever acknowledged you as his child and took steps to raise you and act in a paternal capacity.  Does his name appear on your birth certificate?  Are you in touch with your father?  If none of that is the case then you are not eligible to claim anything by way of citizenship.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.